February 15, 2022 Choosing the right bathroom lighting
The process of choosing lighting for a bathroom design can be overwhelming. The vanity, tub area and shower all require different lighting choices, but the bathroom’s overall design still needs to feel stylish and cohesive. To determine the best approach, we’ve compiled our top 3 tips below:
1. Consider Side-Mounted Sconces
Side-mounted sconces, are one of the best lighting options for a bathroom. Whether one is used on either side of a mirror or mounted onto a mirror directly with shades placed at eye-level, there are a few factors to take into account:
– Mount the backplate of a vertical, tube-shaped fixture at eye-level.
– The shade opening of glass down-lights should sit slightly below eye-level.
– The shade opening of glass up-lights should sit slightly above eye-level.
– If your mirror is centered above the sink, mount fixtures just a few inches to the left and right of the mirror. It should be as close to your face as possible.
2. Plan for Layers of Light
Any bathroom can benefit from three layers of light to enhance the beauty of the space. To ensure that light is distributed evenly, opt for a combination of ambient light in the form of chandeliers, pendants or flush mounts, a second layer — task lighting that’s ideal for daily grooming activities like applying makeup or shaving — and a third layer, accent lighting, which is designed to highlight the bathroom’s architectural features and decor.
3. Stick to Similar Finishes
While it’s not necessary for the style of sconces to match overhead fixtures, it’s best to keep them in the same finish family to maintain unity in the bathroom’s overall design.